Everest University Becomes Altierus Career College
The following article is from Clay Chamber.
Earlier this month, Everest University-Orange Park changed its name to Altierus Career College. The new name reflects the college’s updated and expanded offerings in high-demand medical and trade industries, including efforts to ensure that students are well-matched with career choices and develop the soft skills local employers value most.
"As a nonprofit, Altierus provides a unique path for the non-traditional student to pursue his or her career," said Jeff Sherman, executive director, Altierus Career College, Orange Park. "We have transformed our approach to deliver an affordable, high-quality education that addresses the needs of local employers and promotes student success."
Altierus Career College, Orange Park, will hold an Open House from Noon to 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday September 20 to celebrate the new name and to offer prospective students and the community an opportunity to learn more about its unique approach to technical education.
The Orange Park campus was acquired by Zenith Education Group nearly two and a half years ago and immediately transitioned to nonprofit status. Since then, the soon-to-be Altierus campus has undergone many changes geared toward the ultimate vision of becoming a third pathway for nontraditional students for whom community colleges and for-profit schools have not worked, including helping students to develop many of the "soft skills" employers say they value most. Changes include:
- Establishing a more individualized and rigorous admissions process designed to connect students to the programs that are the best fit for them. This also includes pre-enrollment financial literacy counseling to help prospective students understand the financial investment involved.
- Enhancing the training by instituting a complete curriculum review and refresh in all disciplines, as well as enhancements to facilities and labs that reflect the work environment.
- Providing students with instruction that focuses on the "soft skills" that local employers value and that often determine job placement, such as interviewing, workplace communications and conflict management.
- Providing career planning and placement services throughout the lifecycle of students’ programs to help students stay on track and complete the steps that are critical to securing jobs.
- Pursuing a lifetime professional network via ongoing skills training and alumni support for graduates.
- Improving affordability by providing scholarships and grants that reduce the amount students have to borrow.
- Offering campus-based academic and personal support programs to help students successfully attend and graduate. This includes partnering with community organizations to remove obstacles and provide for basic needs, such as food bank and "Dress for Success" interview-ready clothing resources.
"The name Altierus is inspired by our mission to provide this new, alternative pathway for students by offering a best-in-class experience that is a tier above existing models in which all of us–students, employers, faculty and staff–form a community of learning that cares for the ‘whole student,’" said Peter Taylor, president and chief executive officer of Zenith Education Group.
Altierus Career College, Orange Park offers the following programs: Electrician, Medical Administrative Assistant, Medical Assistant, Medical Insurance Billing and Coding, and Pharmacy Technician.